After having digitally signed your enrollment contract via your Student Self Service, your student card and registration certificates will be generated and then sent to your address in Belgium.

Make sure you mention your Belgian address when you come by to finalize your enrollment. If you don’t have an address in Belgium at the time of enrollment, you can pick up your card after notification via e-mail at the Student Information hub (infopunt) in building D.

 You will need the registration certificate to register at the commune where you will be residing.

There are 2 types of conditional letters of acceptance:

1. A condition for original documents

Your letter will state clearly what the condition is. You will need to show your original degree (or a legalized copy). Please note that this document has to be in one of the following languages:

  • English
  • French
  • Dutch
  • German

If your document is not in one of the above mentioned language you will need an official translation in order to finalize your enrollment.

2. A condition for extra documents

The only document that can be asked in addition to your admission is a proof of language proficiency. This is only for EEA nationals.
All other applicants need to provide this proof before they can obtain an admission.

Language requirements

! Please note that if you fail to provide us with this proof, your enrollment cannot be finalized.

Academic requirements change each academic year, therefore it isn’t possible to defer your admission.

However, you can choose to defer your application.

This means your application will be screened again for academic year 2015-2016. An additional application fee of 50€ will not be asked the first year.

In order to enroll you will need a valid visa type D for Belgium.

Students who wish to enroll as a joint-PhD can enroll based on a type C visa as well.

All students that require a student visa have to enroll for a full time (= min. 54 credits) program.

Students who do not require a student visa can choose the number of credits they follow each year.

The tuition fee consists of a fixed amount and a variable amount. You pay the variable amount per credit you follow.

These amounts differ depending on:

  • Your program
  • Your nationality (EEA or non-EEA)
  • The amount of credits you enroll for
  • Your scholarship (VLIR, BTC,…)

A detailed overview of the tuition fees can be consulted in the following documents:

All students need to pay their invoice in full within 30 days.

Installment plans are not possible.

The tuition fee can only be paid via bank transfer.

You will receive an invoice on your VUB e-mail account.

After your enrollment at VUB you need to activate your permanent account (=NetID).

You will need this account to register your courses via your Student Self Service.

After you have registered your courses you will receive an invoice via e-mail. No fees will be asked at the time of enrollment.

The application fee you paid will be deducted from your tuition fee invoice.

If you haven’t received your original degree yet, request a graduation certificate at your home university.

You can use this to substitute your diploma.

Please note this document needs to be original or a legalized copy.

All prospective students need to provide a proof of sufficient knowledge of English by meeting one of the following criteria:

  • a diploma of secondary or higher education where English was the language of instruction
  • having successfully completed at least one school year of secondary education where English was the language of instruction
  • having successfully completed course units in higher education with a minimum total of 54 study credits where English was the language of instruction 
  • having successfully completed ASO secondary education in Belgium
  • having successfully completed one of the following language tests
    • TOEFL: 213 computer-based, 80 internet-based
    • IELS: minimum level academic module 6,5
    • Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE), grade B
    • Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE), grade C

The proof or certificate of language tests cannot be older than 2 years for a first enrolment.

How can I enroll when I don’t have a Flemish degree?

Student who don’t have a Flemish degree have to apply through our online application form.

No, you can only select courses from the course overview for your study field. Some departments allow you to also select courses from other study fields, but these courses are then also mentioned in your department’s course overview.

Yes, see also here.

Certain course descriptions however still mention SP or Study Points, 1 SP = 1 ECTS.

No, you either follow courses at the VUB or do a training.

You cannot combine both unless you can select the official VUB course ‘Internship’ from the course overview for your field of study.

No, all exchange students that study at the VUB in the framework of an exchange agreement or an exchange scholarship programme managed by the International Relations and Mobility Office are exempted from a tuition fee.

More information on the offered scholarship programmes can be found here.

No, when there is no exchange agreement with your home university or specific cooperation agreement with your government and the VUB you cannot apply for an exchange. 

More information on the offered scholarship programmes and their eligibility criteria can be found here.

The VUB will provide your home university with a Transcript of Records of your obtained grades and credits and an explanation of the grading system at the VUB.Your home university then has to transfer and recognize your obtained grades and credits.

The VUB academic year runs from end September until July.

Our academic year is divided into 2 semesters: the first or fall semester and the second or spring semester.

More info: VUB Academic Calendar.

All application information can be found here.

We advise you to first carefully read our ‘Arrival in Brussels’ webpage.

Should you have further questions, you can contact the International Relations and Mobility Office at international.relations@vub.ac.be.

We offer a limited number of rooms to exchange students in the on campus U-residence (Brussels Engineering, Sciences & Humanities Campus).

More info on U-residence and finding housing in Brussels can be found here.

EU & non-EU students 2016-17:

  • fall semester: 
    Nomination by home university: 1 May 2016
    Application to the VUB: 1 June 2016
  • spring semester: 
    Nomination by home university: 1 October 2016
    Application to the VUB: 1 November 2016

All incoming exchange students have to provide a proof of English language knowledge in their online application. This can be an official English test, a proof of English-taught courses taken at the home university, or a statement from the home university confirming that you have sufficient knowledge of English to take English-taught courses at the VUB.A minimum B2 level is recommended.

Exchange students can take courses at the Academic Language Centre, ACTO.

Depending on your VUB department these courses can be recognized for credits or not.

More info can be found here.


Yes, incoming exchange students can select courses from our Dutch-taught programmes, on the condition that you provide us with a proof of Dutch language knowledge in your online application. A minimum B2 level is recommended.

Overview of the Dutch-taught courses:

All incoming exchange students are required to take a minimum of 21 ECTS per semester.

There are many, many outlets that sell cell phone sim cards. You have the choice between many providers for example: Proximus, Mobistar and BASE. The nearest shop to the Brussels Engineering, Sciences & Humanities Campus is at the “Chasse”(shopping area close to the Brussels Engineering, Sciences & Humanities Campus), The Telephone House, Chaussée de Wavre n° 687: cards from the 3 providers may be bought here. In Jette, you should go to the Market Place, or downtown where you will find the main shops.

We cannot say. Prices change all the time and all operators have promotions aimed at all types of users (including students). Try to find out who you will be calling most to help you make your decision. According to the international students ‘BASE’ seems to be the
most popular one.

There are many businesses with telephone booths for long distance calling. However, they appear and disappear like mushrooms so look out for new ones and check the prices first. We can also recommend the internet calling service Skype.com

For example, if the number on the card is +32 2 629 13 25 you leave out the country code (32) and put a 0 in front of the area number. In this case it is 02 629 13 25
Most people here will give you their number without the country code.

(code for international calls) 32 (your mobile phone number without the first 0). So, for example, if your Belgian Mobile number is 0475 89 56 23, the person calling you from abroad should dial (the code used in the country for international calls) 32 475 89 56 23

00 (country code of country you are calling) (telephone number). So if you want to call someone in Spain (country code 34) you call: 00 34 (telephone number).

Many different cards (E.g.: XL-call, Eagle) are sold in night shops. Ask the shop owner for the cheapest card to call home.

Telephone numbers at the Brussels Health Campus always start with 02/477, followed by the private number except if mentioned otherwise.

At the post office or in one of the red post boxes you can find in the street.

You can have it sent to our address above. Mind that it is your responsibility to pick up the mail.

Most shops are open from 09.00 till 18.00, but this varies according to the type of business. Bakeries and snack bars open earlier (around 07.00) while clothes shops open later (around 10.00). In some villages outside Brussels, shops may be closed over lunchtime. There are some late night and weekend shopping times before Christmas in most popular shopping areas of Brussels.

Closest to the Brussels Engineering, Sciences & Humanities Campus is COLRUYT, next to the student rooms at Schoofslaan and Triomflaan. Most students receive Colruyt promotion vouchers in their mailboxes on campus. 
Open Monday-Friday 09.00-20.00 Saturday 09.00-19.00 
Students in Jette can walk to the Delhaize or GB supermarket: Dikke Beukenlaan (+/- 30'), or near Place Reine Astrid, in Leopold I street (+/- 30') you'll find a Colruyt supermarket and a GB supermarket, or take a bus to "Basilix", where all kind of shops are situated also including the supermarket Carrefour. There is a cheap Aldi market on Chaussée de Wavre nr. 1070.


Most of them have their own brand products and these tend to be cheaper. LIDL and ALDI have the cheapest options, but don't offer normal brand products (like Coca Cola or Nutella); also the selection of available products is limited and changes every day.

The main fruit and vegetable markets near the campus are:

  • Ixelles lakes (daily except Monday) large market on weekends at Av. Général de Gaulle
  • Place du Châtelain (Ixelles) (every Wednesday from 14.00 till 20.00)
  • Place Jourdan (at WE; the market is larger on Sundays)
  • Market Place Jette (every Sunday morning)
  • Gare du Midi (very large cheap market on Sunday, well worth a visit; beware of pickpockets!).
  • Koningin Astridplein/Place Reine Astrid Jette: each morning there is a small market for fresh vegetables, a big one on Sunday
  • Clemenceau Market. (On friday, saturday and sunday morning) Wide range of exotic fruits and exclusive goods. (Popular market
    among African students)


Cheapest at a shop called WIBRA. Otherwise try to HEMA, ZEEMAN, BLOKKER, and CASA. You will find these shops in your neighbourhood as well as down town.

You should go to the supermarkets. At the Brussels Engineering, Sciences & Humanities Campus, you can go to the Crazy Copy centre (Monday till Friday from 09.00 till 18.30 across from the free flow restaurant). Brussels Health Campus: there is a small shop in the entrance hall of the Academic Hospital (UZ Brussel).


Most large department stores have outlets in Brussels. They are located around the City Centre, Rue Neuve, home to City 2 (Metro Rogier or De Brouckère), or at Porte de Namur and Chaussée d’Ixelles (bus 71). You will find H&M, Zara, C&A, Springfield etc. The DOD
chain (rue du Bailly, tram 81, 82 ‘Lesbroussart’ or tram 91, 92, 93 ‘Bailly’ and Chausée de Louvain, metro ‘Madou’) sells branded clothes at a discount all year round so it is worth checking it out.
From the Jette campus you take the bus and go down town – the shopping centre is near the Gare du Nord or Gare Centrale.

Yes, but they are not that large compared to other countries. The main ones in and around Brussels are:

  • City 2 (metro Rogier)
  • Shopping Woluwe (Metro 1B Roodebeek)
  • Westland Shopping Centre (Metro 1B to Jacques Brel + bus 89)

City 2 Shopping mall 
1000 Brussels 
tel. 02 / 275 11 11
"European department" with books in all EU languages.

1 rue de l'Orme/ Olmstraat 1 
1040 Bruxelles-Brussel
Tel.: + 32/(0)2/231.04.35 
Tel.: + 32/(0)2/734.02.81 
Fax : + 32/(0)2/735.08.60 
E-mail : 
Official agent for the publications of the EU and the Council of Europe. Many publications in English, French, Dutch, Italian and German from these two organisations, as well as many books about Europe, tourist guides etc.

Chain of 10 shops in and around Brussels, selling stationery and office supplies, but also with a book department (mostly French) for adults and children. 
To find your nearest branch: www.club.be

Librairie Filigranes 
Open 365/365. The largest plain floor bookshop in Europe. Address :Avenue des Arts 39-40 Brussels 1040, (Metro Arts-Loi).

Boulevard A. Max, 71 
1000 Brussels 
tel. 02 / 219 27 08
Largest Anglophone bookshop in Brussels. Open 7/7.

Sterling Books 
Rue Fossé-aux-Loups, 38 
1000 Brussels 
tel. 02 / 223 62 23 
English bookshop

Reading Room 
Avenue G. Henri, 503
1200 Brussels 
tel. 02 / 734 79 17 
New and second-hand books in English

Punto y Coma 
Rue Stevin, 115a 
1000 Brussels 
tel. 02 / 648 04 40 
Spanish bookshop. Open 7/7

La Tienda Latina 
Avenue D. Boon, 19 
1160 Brussels 
tel. 02 / 673 34 50 
Spanish bookshop

Libro Italiano
Chaussée de Wavre, 354 
1040 Brussels 
tel. fax 02 / 230 06 74 
A choice of books in Italian.

Librairie "Du Monde Entier" 
Blvd A. Max, 110 
1000 Brussels 
tel. 02 / 223 15 21 
Russian bookshop

Gutenberg Buchhandlung 
Rue de Louvain, 34 
1000 Brussels 
tel. 02 / 512 45 10
German bookshop

Librairie Grande Muraille 
Galerie de la Rue de Ruysbroeck 5 
Brussel 1000 
Tel 02/512 14 56 
Chinese bookshop

Yes, many. Most of them are downtown or near the university campuses. Avoid doing your regular shopping there because they are very expensive. Some also rent DVDs, or videos and even have a small bar and fast food facilities. Most night shops open from 18.00 till 03.00.

Try to go to a chain where you don't need an appointment and where they have special "student" rates; make sure you go there at "off peak times" (usually NOT the weekend). Main chains are: Olivier Dachkin, Jean Louis David, Lawrence Kazan etc. 
These chains usually have outlets in the same streets! (for example, near Cimetière d'Ixelles towards ULB Solbosch campus). Plenty of African hairdressers can be found in Matongé, the Congolese district of Brussels (Metro station Porte de Namur).

There are many public swimming pools in Brussels. Near Brussels Engineering, Sciences & Humanities Campus: The nearest one is at the “Chasse” Piscine Espadon – Rue des Champs 69-71, 1040 Brussels Tel 02 640 38 38. Opening hours: Monday – Thursday: 8.00-19.30; Friday: 8.00-21.00 and at weekends: 9.00-13.00 and 14.00-18.00. During school holidays it is closed from 13.30 to 14.30. The swimming pool also closes during official holidays. 
For Brussels Health Campus: the nearest one is Piscine/Zwembad Neurus, Koningin Fabioloaplein 10, 1083 Ganshoren.

There are many newspaper shops around Brussels, some of which also sell stamps and telephone cards. Look out for the chain PRESSHOP. Some bookshops also sell foreign newspapers and are open on Sundays (Filigranes, Librairie de Rome, Sterling Bookshop). At the Brussels Health Campus there is a press shop in the main entrance of the hospital.

Yes, Brussels is a green city if you know where to go. Here is a non-exhaustive list of parks you should visit at least once, whether you are sporty or not (check the location on the maps we give you). Jette has several very pleasant parks: the King Boudewijnpark, the Garcetpark and a youth park. In Belgium, what we call “woods” are sometimes also parks: the Dielegembos, the Poelbos and Laarbeekbos. The latter is situated near the Brussels Health Campus. Near the Brussels Engineering, Sciences & Humanities Campus you will find:

  • Bois de la Cambre (walk from the campus or take bus 71/tram 23 or 90). It is closed to traffic at weekends and you can cycle or skate in the park. It is very popular when the weather is fine and very pretty in autumn; it is also popular with joggers.
  • Forêt de Soignes is huge (don’t go alone or without a map) and you can easily spend a day there, if you like walking. You can walk across the forest to “La Hulpe “and return by train to Etterbeek (takes a day). Closer to in Brussels center are:
  • Parc Tournay Solvay (by train from Etterbeek towards Louvain La Neuve (LLN) and get off at the second stop Bosvoorde/Boitsfort). It is a small but very attractive park, especially in spring and autumn.
  • Parc Ten Bosch (tram 23 or 90 and change to 92 or 93 or 94 get off at stop called Vleurgat. Small, very quiet and pretty. Many people go there to read on the benches.
  • Parc du Cinquantenaire (take tram 23 or 90 and get off at Montgomery) - Parc Royal (take bus 95 or 96 and get off in front of the park and Royal palace)

As there are about 80 museums in Brussels, the choice is yours depending on what you are interested in. If you really like museums, you can buy a Brussels Card that gives you unlimited access for three days to 30 museums (€ 30). Also check for special student rates and some “free” access days at some museums. Check the Guide&Plan in your documentation to make your choice. Here are our TOP 5 which you must visit before leaving Brussels!

  • Royal Africa Museum (take tram 44 from Montgomery Metro station)
  • Natural History Museum (take bus 95 or 96 and get out at Chaussée de Wavre, ask the bus driver)
  • Museum of Modern Art (bus 95, 96 stop in front of Museum)
  • Museum of Ancient Art next to the Museum of Modern Art (bus 95, 96 stop in front of Museum)
  • Comic Strip Museum (bus 71 stop at Fossé aux Loup)
  • Museum of Musical Instruments (bus 95, 96 stop at Place Royale, stunning roof view)

The best way to know is to grab your own free copy of “Brussel Deze Week” every Thursday.

You can have the paper, including the trilingual agenda, and delivered to your room address by sending an email with your name and address to  . Plenty of copies are available on campus (Housing Department on top of the letterboxes, KK, Medical service, International Relations and Mobility Office, etc). Also check: www.agenda.be

No, you have to go to the city centre. There you can find the UGC cinemas at Toison d’Or (Metro ‘Toison d’Or’ or bus 34 to ‘Porte de Namur’) and Place De Brouckère. In Brupark, you will find Kinepolis ( or Tram 7 Heysel). You can find other cinemas in “Brussel deze week”. Every week at the Brussels Engineering, Sciences & Humanities Campus, student organisations show films in building D, mostly at 19.30 pm. They usually post flyers about upcoming films in the restaurant. There is of course also the possibility to rent films on VHS or DVD.

Check the agenda in “Brussel Deze Week” or search the internet on www.cinebel.be

Last year it did apply for incoming Erasmus students who arrive in the first semester (not for students arriving in the second semester). Please ask the Erasmus Officers upon arrival.

There is a second-hand bicycle market every Sunday near Gare du Midi. Take tram 7 (direction Vanderkindere) and change for line 3 at tramstop “Churchill" to get there from campus Oefenplein.

Not really but you should wear a helmet and follow some basic traffic rules.

The quickest is probably by Railway from Etterbeek to Gare du Nord / Noordstation and then by bus 14. Alternatively you can walk to the metro Petillon, change at Arts Loi/ Kunst Wet, go to Simonis and take bus 13 to “UZ Brussel” (campus Jette).

You can find all price categories. Try to avoid the restaurants located near major tourist attractions (they are often real tourist traps and do not provide value for money).
Around the Brussels Engineering, Sciences & Humanities Campus and towards ULB Solbosch campus, there are many small restaurants serving Belgian or international food at reasonable prices, especially in the area of Chaussée de Boondael (bus 95-96 to ‘Cimetière d’Ixelles). It is usually far cheaper to go for a meal at lunchtime because restaurants have set menus (from € 8 on). If you like exotic food, try the Vietnamese or Thai restaurants or those that serve North African food.
Around the Brussels Health Campus you will find some small restaurants, but they are rather expensive.


You will find cafés, wine bars and teashops all over Belgium. Most of them serve soft drinks, beer and wine. On the Brussels Engineering, Sciences & Humanities Campus there are three cafés: KK (KultuurKaffee), ‘t Complex above the swimming pool, and Opinio, on the esplanade between buildings D and E. They all serve light meals at lunchtime and in the evening. Opinio is also open on Saturdays. On the Brussels Health Campus you will find the students-run café Tempus and the Cafetaria of Student Home at Erasmushogeschool. In the Sportopolis cafeteria you can eat and drink.

No, it is prohibited since 1 January 2007.

Check offers on the internet at Airstop, Ryanair, Virgin Express, or tour operators such as Neckermann and Jetair. You can also go to a travel agency (check last minute deals at Neckermann, Nouvelles Frontières, Connections etc). Most travel agencies are only open
on weekdays.
Here are some interesting sites:

It all depends on where you live. Upon arrival you can start by buying a 10-trip card (price € 10.50) from the STIB/MIVB, which allows you to take nearly any bus, tram, metro or train IN Brussels. You can change once during your journey, but you have to do this within the hour.

If you notice that you use public transport very often, you should consider buying a monthly MTB card (price € 30,5 /month if you are under 25 and € 45 /month if you are over 25; price € 305 /year if you are under 25 and € 450 /year if you are over 25).

There is a second-hand bicycle market every Sunday near Gare du Midi (main railway station; take tram 90 (or 23) to get there from campus Oefenplein).

The fastest is probably by Railway from Etterbeek to Gare du Nord / Noordstation and then by bus 14.
Alternatively, you can walk to the metro Petillon , change at Arts Loi/ Kunst Wet, go to Simonis and take bus 13 to Jette.

At the Brussels Engineering, Sciences & Humanities Campus between building F and Building G there is an ING bank

Opening hours:

  • Mo, Tu, We and Fri 9.00 am - 1.00 pm and 2.00 pm - 4.00 pm
  • Thu 10.00 am - 1.00 pm and 2.00 pm - 6.00 pm

Contact: Tel: 02/626.98.90, Fax: 02/626.98.98, E-mail: 

Ask someone for the nearest "bancontact" or "mistercash" (local names for cash point machines).

Yes, we advise you to do so. You can check what the best options are at any bank. There are plenty of banks in Belgium with outlets on nearly every street corner. The main banks are ING, BNP PARIBAS FORTIS, DEXIA, KBC. To open a bank account we advice you to consult the ING
bank on campus. The ING campus branch (building F) has special arrangements for students..

It is your International Bank Account Number. This code contains two control numbers and your account number.

It is the Bank Identification Code also called Swift code. It starts with BIC followed by 8 characters, and identifies your Bank.

More information about the Euro banknotes and coins.

Brussels Health Campus:

  • you can call +32 (0)2 477.42.10 on Tuesday afternoon or make an appointment with the general practitioner at the campus Oefenplein (Etterbeek) at 02/629 2300
  • or go to the emergency dept. ('Spoedgevallen/Urgences') at the Academic Hospital (AZ) on the campus Jette

Brussels Engineering, Sciences & Humanities Campus:

  • There is a medical service in building Y on campus where you can see a doctor (see campus map).
  • The service is available from Monday to Thursday from 09.00-12.15 and 13.30-17.30 and on Friday until 17.00 tel. +32 (0)2 629.23.00

During the weekend you can call an emergency doctor in Brussels at 02 242 43 44 (Dutch speaking) or 02 513 02 02 (French speaking) 
In Jette, you can visit or call, Dr. Yoshimi - Kasteellaan 130/2 - 02/420.38.00 or go to the emergency dept. ("Spoedgevallen/Urgences") at the Academic Hospital (AZ) on the campus Jette

Call the dental emergency services at 070 25 40 40 or make an appointment at the Dental Clinic ("Tandheelkundige Kliniek VUB") on the Brussels Health Campus, building K, Laarbeeklaan 103, Tel 02/477.49.20 or 02/477.49.21

You can go to an Optician such as Pearl Vision. If you need to see an eye doctor to get a new prescription for glasses, you should make an appointment at the University hospital (UZ Brussel) Outpatients Clinic "Polykliniek AZ", Laarbeeklaan. Tel 02/477.41.11


There are plenty: look for the green cross that is the symbol for pharmacies. Opening hours are generally from 09.00-18.00. Some pharmacies are open on Saturday (one in each densely populated area). There is one near the Brussels Engineering, Sciences & Humanities Campus Vrijwilligerslaan 30, Brussel 1160. There is no pharmacy at the Brussels Health Campus though you can find one near the Oude Afspanning Plein (Ancienne Barrière) only 10' walk.

Look at the middle page of the Agenda of "Brussel deze Week" (see p. 23) which lists all pharmacies open in your neighbourhood, and check the emergency list posted on each pharmacy door. This list shows the pharmacies that are open at night or at the weekend. For security reasons you may have to identify yourself, or wait outside for your medicines that will be delivered through a specially protected window.

  • Police 101
  • Fire Brigade 112
  • Ambulances 112
  • Poison Treatment centre 070 245 245
  • Centre for burn victims 02 268 62 00
  • Gas leaks 02 274 40 44 (Fr, Dutch) or 02 274 34 54
  • Floods 02 739 52 11
  • VUB security patrol service Tel: 2176

We suggest you go to a photo shop or to a photo booth (in most railway and metro stations and sometimes in town halls) and have some taken (say 8). In Etterbeek, on our campus, you can go to Crazy Copy Shop (opposite the restaurant). To save money, you take a whole sheet (A4) of photos so that you have plenty left to stick on all sorts of documents. You will need 5 original identity photos for the Town Hall registration and more if you want to buy a public transport pass.

Best way is to send them an email. See website university on who is who.