Administrative formalities prior to your departure


To be admitted to Belgian territory you must go through certain entrance formalities. You can be admitted to Belgium on the basis of different statutes. The statute on the basis of which you are allowed entrance is a "temporary residence permit for students". This is the only way you will be able to stay in Belgium for the duration of your studies.

There is a major difference between a stay of less than three months and a stay of longer than three months
The regulations governing these two types of stay are usually different. All information you need to obtain your visa for Belgium for a short or long stay is to find on the following web :http://www.diplobel.fgov.be/en/travel/visa.asp

Registration at the university is not possible 
without a Visa 'Type D' or a Visa 'Type C'

If the Embassy sees no possibility to get you a student visa that coincides within the period of enrolment, they may suggest that you apply for a tourist visa, which poses fewer difficulties for them. 
Do not agree to this unless the Embassy is willing to give you a written statement that they have advised you to apply for a tourist visa. Such a written statement is the only way you will be able to change your tourist visa into a student visa, once you're in Belgium. Otherwise a tourist visa will be of no use to you. 
Registration at the university with a tourist visa is only possible if you have a written statement of the Embassy that they have advised you to apply for a tourist visa. 

Proof of solvency

To proof your solvency you need :

  • a certification from the Vrije Universiteit Brussel or another institution conforming that you have received a grant or a scholarship or
  • an "agreement for acceptance of financial responsibility". It only exists officially in Dutch (Verbintenis tot Tenlasteneming ) or in French (Engagement de prise en charge).
    • the sponsor lives in Belgium. The form is available at the municipality. The municipality will receive the form and forward it to the Ministry of Interior who investigates if this person is financially capable to support you ;
    • the sponsor lives abroad. He gets the form in the country where he lives. The Belgian Consulate of Embassy forwards it to the Belgian Ministry of Interior.

The Belgian Consulate of Embassy in your home country can inform what proof you will need and the procedures to follow 

Certificate of good conduct

Only no EEA nationals

You can obtain that document at the police station of your country. It normally covers the last five years.

If the police department does not provide that document ask the Belgian Consulate or Embassy what steps you have to take.

Medical Certificate

Only no EEA nationals

This certificate states that you are in good health and are not a carrier of contagious diseases. The official form for the medical certificate is to obtain from the Belgian diplomatic services in your country.

The certificate has to be completed by a doctor appointed by the Belgian diplomatic or consular agent. Only the completed original certificate (Dutch, French or English) that has been legalised by the Belgian embassy or consulate is accepted by the ministry in Belgium.