“Economics as a foundation, technology as added value and entrepreneurship as a guideline” – that’s the philosophy behind this academic qualification of business engineer (also known as management engineer or commercial engineer). The Master in Business & Technology focuses on business aspects of cutting-edge technology and offers high-level courses on various aspects of business, finance, accounting, technology, strategy, analytics and more. All you need for a successful business career!
What have you learnt?
We aim to train professionals who can understand the jargon and business environment of all their colleagues, including engineers, economists, lawyers and computer scientists. Upon completing this programme you’ll be able to bridge the gap between the different worlds of the many professions in the workforce. The Solvay Master of Business & Technology focuses strongly on IT and innovation and has a clear international flavour.
Keen to continue your academic career? You can apply for a PhD position at VUB! All you need is a promoter, research subject and sufficient funding. Are you up for the challenge? Or look into our Postgraduates and Microcredentials, short programmes that might meet your interest.
What professions will it allow you to enter?
The programme encompasses all aspects of international businesses: from economics and finance to engineering and human resources.
In the first module, we teach you all aspects of advanced business: corporate finance, management, marketing, auditing and technology and data science. You pick one technology elective. In the second module, we shift the focus to entrepreneurship, CSR and strategic management. You can then pick one business aspect elective, one practice-oriented elective and one or two additional electives (from a wide selection, ranging from banking to logistics). You will complete your master with a master's thesis.
Because you speak the language of both the management (business field) and the engineers (technology field), you are destined to become a high-level employee in all kinds of sectors.
Our alumni tell what jobs this diploma leads to...
- Emmelien De Roock | PhD Student in our Data Analytics Laboratory (VUB)
"An Erasmus experience in my own country"
- Asli Irem Orgun | PhD candidate
"I would definitely recommend this programme to any students wanting to improve themselves in a challenging and international environment."
Are you aware that VUB sometimes looks for business engineers?
That's right! You can build an exciting and meaningful career as a business engineer here at your alma mater. As a large organisation we look for very diverse profiles.
Join our community of former students
On graduation from VUB you become part of a unique network of 75,000 former students (known as alumni) who are ready to build a better future. We exchange as many experiences, ideas and other forms of knowledge as possible to stand stronger together in our jobs, our lives and the world outside.
So, besides strengthening your position on the labour market, a VUB diploma gives you a network you can build on to realise your professional ambitions and make a difference in the world. Do you need more reasons? We list more below for you.
... it's worth it!
- Benefits on and off campus - A BasicFit annual subscription at half the price, student rates in the Resto... : being a former student pays off with a digital alumni pass.
- Help with job applications - It is sometimes hard for young alumni to find their way on the labour market. We help you get off to a flying start.
- Networking - Join your faculty or study-programme alumni association and keep up to date with the latest networking events and developments in your field.
- Career inspiration - Are you looking for a job that matches your passions? Read the career stories and tips of former students and discover the possibilities per diploma.
- Our lifelong learning education - Society and the labour market are constantly on the move. Our lifelong learning courses keep your knowledge and skills relevant. For a lifetime.