2022_Financiering_Laptop en documenten_S_633088526

How to obtain funding?

As a PhD student, you can obtain funding in different ways: 

  • As an employee of the university (assisting academic staff or AAP) 
  • Through a personal scholarship from a funding body such as IWT or FWO 
  • Through project-related funding as a researcher for the project you are working on 
More info?

Each option is associated with a particular application procedure, form of appointment, and regulation. Would you like more info? Contact the relevant organisation and discuss it with your supervisor. For more details on contracts and options, you can also contact the personnel department (People & Organisation). 

People & Organisation

VUB Main Campus Etterbeek
Pleinlaan 2
1050 Elsene
More info
2022_Jonge studenten en professor die discussie voeren aan de medische faculteit_S_500244064

Assistant academic staff

You assist the professors of your department in their teaching assignment: you give lessons, labs, workshops, etc. This fills about 40% of your time. In addition, you prepare a PhD and work on your research (60%). With an AAP mandate, you are an employee of VUB for 6 years. Vacancies for AAP mandates at VUB can be found on our vacancy page.

Check our vacancy page

Project and personal mandates

For personal or project-related funding, there are many agencies to turn to. There are different organisations for each discipline. We provide you with an overview of the main funding channels in Flanders and Brussels.


2022_Vrouwelijke universiteitsstudent werkt één op één met tutor_Klaslokaal_S_478412701

Funding channels in Flanders and Brussels

Other channels

For other opportunities, please get in contact with your VUB promotor or check out open positions at VUB.

Vacancies at VUB

Ready for your doctoral programme?

Are you eligible for a doctoral programme, do you know your topic and supervisor and do you have an idea of possible funding?

Then register for your PhD!