Tuition fees are calculated from the number of credits you take on, your nationality, the programme for which you enrol and the type of contract. The amount consists of a fixed part, which you pay once per academic year, and a variable part. The variable part is determined by the number of credits for which you enrol. The tuition fees are different for students from EEA and non-EEA countries. For certain advanced master’s programmes and continuation or specialisation programmes, the tuition fees are higher.
Other study costs
In addition to tuition fees, there are many other costs that you need to take into account as a student: study materials, travel costs, accommodation costs (the rent of your room) and living costs such as food and entertainment. How much this will be depends on the programme you are following, where you are living, how often you go back home, your standard of living, etc.
Estimated costs for foreign students
For foreign students, it's important to get an idea of how much budget to provide to study in Belgium. Make sure to provide about € 1000 per month, excluding your tuition fee and course materials.
Estimated costs for a fulltime student
- 1st year BA Social Sciences (ENG)
- 1st year BA Business Economics (ENG)
- 1st year BA Linguistics and Literary Studies (ENG)
|Accommodation||€ 410 - € 550||monthly|
|Energy costs||€ 70 - €100||monthly|
|Food||€ 200 - € 250||monthly|
|Transportation||€ 12 - € 500||yearly|
|Medical insurance (mandatory)||€ 12 - € 100||monthly|
|Medical costs||€ 25||monthly|
|Other costs: clothes/pleasure/personal hygiene||€ 45||monthly|
|Savings/unexpected expenses||€ 25||monthly|
Note that during the first month of your stay you will have exceptional costs for registration, copies of documents and often a warranty for your accommodation.
- Costs for temporary accommodation. You will need temporary accommodation while you look for somewhere to live. A cheap hostel close to the university costs +/-15 EUR per day for a single room.
- The warranty for your accommodation. Every landlord asks the tenant for a warranty, which can go as high as 3 months’ rent. When you vacate the accommodation in good condition, the warranty will be paid back to you.
- Electricity, water and/or other utilities are not always included in the rent (check your rental contract). The costs depend on consumption.
|Airport-city transfer (bus/train/taxi)||€ 7 - € 60||once|
|Temporary accommodation||€ 200||weekly|
|Accommodation warranty||€ 1000||once|
|Fire/third liability insurance||€ 200||yearly|
|Tuition fee (general)||€ 1092 - € 4284||yearly|
|Study materials||€ 200||once|
|Equipment (furniture/kitchenware/computer)||€ 300||once|
Estimated costs for Belgian students
Find out an estimation of the costs for a fulltime Belgian student during the 1st year of a Bachelor's programme below. These documents are in Dutch.