Help young newcomers get to know Brussels through Masir Avenir!
Are you a VUB member who thinks inclusion is very important? Do you want to give young people the chance to integrate into Brussels? Then the integration program Masir Avenir is something for you!
"Masir Avenir" means "The road to the future", translated from Dari and French. That is exactly what the project stands for.
During a summer school, non-European youngsters who recently came to Brussels get to know the city and Belgium better through workshops and are given practice opportunities in Dutch. The participants are aged between 17 and 19. This is a crucial age: they are in the process of identity development and undergo cognitive and physiological changes. Because of their migration background, they have no network and they do not yet know the Belgian society very well.
This is where you, as a volunteer, can make a difference! You help them on their way and make sure they can contribute to the Brussels and Belgian society. Concretely, as a volunteer at Masir Avenir you will help organise and give workshops: practising Dutch, cultural participation, free time, etc. We are also looking for buddies. These are volunteers who want to do nice things together with the participants of Masir Avenir: exchange about the student life, get to know the city, visit events, ... That is why your participation in Masir Avenir is so important for the lives of these young people! As a volunteer you also get the necessary guidance. At the start you get an education about the living situation of the participants and the content of the programme. This way you are well prepared to offer the vulnerable youngsters the help they not only need, but especially deserve.
- A VUB member with a strong social commitment
- A social person who likes talking to different people
- A free agenda for the coming summer
- A strong desire to make a significant difference for vulnerable young people
What’s in it for you?
- You get an education about the target group and the content of the program
- You will contribute to a unique project to support young people with a migration background
- You will enrich yourself with the culture and social issues of newcomers
- Organisation of Dutch Practice Opportunities: giving workshops (fun activities in Dutch) during the summer
- In autumn we organise return moments for the participants. For these moments volunteers can organise activities around leisure and cultural participation.
- Buddy project: Volunteer students of the VUB pair up with a young person with a migrant background. The student helps the young person with concrete, daily tasks (e.g. reading a CV for a student job), visits events together (e.g. job fairs) and undertakes leisure activities together.
*As an Urban Engaged University, we call upon our VUB community to help build a better world through social engagement. On the "The World Needs You" platform, the VUB collects socially meaningful projects on which students, staff, alumni and sympathisers can collaborate. These projects do not represent the university. The initiatives and communication are the responsibility of the project organisers and do not represent the university's position.