Appeal against study progress decision

The first step of the appeal procedure is to lodge an internal appeal. Only if you do not agree with the outcome of your internal appeal can you start an external appeal procedure against the decision. 

TIP: if you are considering lodging an internal appeal against an exam result, it is important to view the exam first and/or ask the examiner for clarification. You can find the deadlines and organisation of the inspection and feedback moments of your faculty in the supplementary faculty Teaching and examination regulations. Even if the inspection or feedback moment is scheduled later, you must submit your appeal within the deadline. 

When to lodge an appeal?

In case you feel that your rights have been infringed you can appeal against a study progress decision within the expiry period of 7 calendar days. The expiry period for examination decisions starts the day following the day of the electronic communication of examination results. For all other study progress decisions, the expiry period starts the day after announcement of the decision.


How to lodge an appeal?

How to lodge an appeal?

When you lodge an appeal, you must take into account the following conditions your appeal needs to meet. If it doesn't, your appeal will not be deemed acceptable.

  • The appeal must be submitted within 7 calendar days (the dated application will count as the submission date).
  • The appeal must be signed and dated.
  • The appeal must be sent in via registerd mail to the Central Commission for Appeals. 
  •  The application must include, at the very least, your identity, the disputed decision(s) and a factual description of the objections invoked. 
  • We advise you to use the template form for internal appeal.
  • The appeal must be filed in the form of a signed and dated application letter submitted within the expiry period by registered mail to the Central Commission for Appeals, FAO The President, Onderwijs en studentenzaken - C2, Pleinlaan 2 - 1050 Brussels.
  • At the same time, you need to send an identical electronic version of the application for information by e-mail to


You will be informed of the decision on your appeal on your VUB mail account, in the weeks following your appeal-submission.

Disagree with the decision?

If you do not agree with the decision on your internal appeal, you can start an external appeal procedure against the decision. You must submit this external appeal to the Council for Study Progress Disputes within 7 calendar days of the notification of the decision taken on your internal appeal. More information can be found in the Teaching and examination regulations.  

Note: The Raad voor betwistingen inzake studievoortgangsbeslissingen (‘the Council’) acts as annulment judge. This means that the Council cannot proceed to a factual re-examination of the case and that you, as a student, cannot bring any new factual elements to your external appeal which you did not invoke during the internal appeal. If your internal appeal has been declared inadmissible, the Council will examine whether the internal appeal was rightly rejected as inadmissible."


In that case, always consult the Teaching and examination regulations.. Be sure to check if your study path counselor can organise a specific information session about results, deliberations and appeals for you. 

Appeal against student service decision

If you believe your rights have been infringed, you can lodge an appeal against decisions concerning student services. Decisions against which you can lodge an appeal are: 

  • A decision concerning the allocation of financial support
  • A decision concerning the allocation of VUB student rooms
  • A decision within the organized student life
  • Other decisions concerning student services (within the stipulated work areas of student services as defined in the Higher Education codex)

    How to lodge an appeal, you can find in the Regulation Appeal Student Services

    Read the Regulation Appeal Student Services