1. Studies

You need an agreement between your home university and the VUB that will allow you to  come and spend one or two semester(s) at VUB as an exchange student. During your exchange, you will have to take different courses at VUB, so it is important to check our course offer (see below ‘study fields’) and discuss it with your coordinator.

If you are interested in a study exchange, there is a certain procedure to follow, that starts with an application at your home university based on your grades, study field, level of studies, etc. Then, if your home university agrees, you can start the procedure at VUB. From there we take over and help you go through the different steps, academically as well as aspects involved in organising your stay in Brussels (housing, insurance, etc.). Keep in mind that having successfully passed the procedure at your home university does not automatically mean you will be accepted at VUB. 

2. Traineeship

Basically, the same applies as for studies, except that there is no need for a bilateral agreement between the two institutions. You can send your most recent CV, traineeship plan, preferred department at VUB and an indication of when exactly you would like to start your traineeship to exchange.incoming@vub.be. We will forward your request to the Faculty’s Exchange Coordinator to see if there is an opportunity to host you.


Autumn semester

  • Nomination to VUB by your home university before 1 May (a link is sent to the student)
  • Application to VUB before 1 June

Applicable for both EU & non-EU citizens.

Late and/or incomplete applications are not considered.


Spring semester

  • ​​​​​​Nomination to VUB by your home university before 1 October (a link is sent to the student)
  • Application to VUB before 1 November

Applicable for both EU & non-EU citizens.

Late and/or incomplete applications are not considered.

Class Schedule

Looking for the class schedule for your student group or course unit? Find your overview here

Study fields

As a general rule, you can only pick courses from your study field. Changes may occur, so please contact us at exchange.incoming@vub.be 

Here below you can find an overview of the courses for exchange students per faculty and per study field:

Faculty Law and Criminology

Do you have academic related questions?
Contact your faculty at Jasmine.De.Backer@vub.be (Criminology) or Xanne.Bekaert@vub.be (Law)


Faculty Medicine and Pharmacy

Do you have academic related questions? 
Contact your faculty at Ellen.Goossens@vub.be (Biomedical Sciences) or Debby.Mangelings@vub.be (Pharmacy)

Faculty Social Sciences and Solvay Business School

Do you have academic related questions? Contact your faculty at mobility.es@vub.be 

Faculty Psychology and Educational Sciences

Do you have academic related questions? Contact your faculty at pe.mobility@vub.be 

Faculty Sciences and Bioengineering Sciences

Faculty Physical Education and Physiotherapy

Do you have academic related questions? Contact the coordinator internationalisation of your faculty at kdherdt@vub.be 

Do I have to pay a tuition fee?

No, all exchange students who study at VUB as part of an exchange agreement or an exchange scholarship programme managed by the International Relations office are exempt from paying tuition fees. More information on the offered scholarship programmes and relevant eligibility criteria can be found here.

Can I do an exchange when there is no exchange agreement with my home university?

No, if there is no exchange agreement with your home university or specific cooperation agreement with your government and the VUB, you cannot apply for an exchange. 

Does the VUB use ECTS?

Yes, you can find more information here . Certain course descriptions, however, still mention SP or Study Points, 1 SP = 1 ECTS. 1 ECTS credit corresponds to no less than 25 and no more than 30 hours of teaching, learning and assessment activities. In most cases student workload ranges from 1,500 to 1,800 hours for an academic year.

What is the minimum number of credits I have to take?

All incoming exchange students are required to take a minimum of 21 ECTS per semester.

What about credit recognition at the end of my stay?

The VUB will provide your home university with a Transcript of Records of your obtained grades and credits, and an explanation of the grading system at the VUB. Your home university must then transfer and recognise your obtained grades and credits.

Can I take courses taught in Dutch?

Yes, incoming exchange students can select courses from our Dutch-taught programmes, provided you give us proof of Dutch language knowledge in your online application. A minimum B2 level is recommended.

What are the language requirements for an exchange?

All incoming exchange students have to provide proof of English language knowledge in their online application. This can be an official English test, proof of English-taught courses taken at the home university, or a statement from the home university confirming that you have sufficient knowledge of English to take English-taught courses at VUB. A minimum B2 level is recommended. The same level applies for those needing the Dutch and/or French language (during a traineeship at the university hospital, for example).

Can I select other courses than those provided in the course overview for my study field?

No, you can only select courses from the course overview for your study field. Some departments allow you to also select courses from other study fields, but these courses are then also mentioned in your department’s course overview.

Can I combine courses with a training or internship?

No, you either follow courses at the VUB or do training. You cannot combine both unless you can select the official VUB course ‘Internship’ from the course overview for your field of study.

Does VUB offer housing to incoming students?

We offer a limited number of rooms to exchange students on campus at U-residence (Brussels Engineering, Sciences & Humanities Campus). More info on U-residence and other housing solutions in the private market can be found on  this page.

Can I take language courses?

Exchange students can take courses at the Academic Language Centre, ACTO. Depending on your VUB department, these courses may or may not be recognised for credits.
More info can be found here.

Who can I contact for questions about my application and offered courses?

You can contact the Student Administration Centre at exchange.incoming@vub.be

Who can I contact for specific questions about a scholarship programme?

You can contact the International Relations office at international.relations@vub.be