How does it work?

Have you applied for your scholarship and completed your enrolment? Only then can you receive an advance. We deposit the advance directly into your account. This amount cannot exceed half the total expected scholarship according to our simulation. From academic year 2023-2024, the advance payment amounts to a maximum of €1,500.

Did you apply for an advance in the first semester and is the decision on the scholarship taking too long? Then contact Social, Legal and Financial department to discuss the possibility of an additional advance.

The advance is deposited on the student's bank account by our Social, Legal and Financial department. If they are awarded the scholarship, the advance will be deducted from the amount they receive. If the scholarship is not awarded, the advance must pay back the advance within one month after the decision to our Social, Legal and Financial department.

2022_Hand met geld_Eurobiljetten_S_1431264284

Request an advance

You can request an advance on the Scholarship from the Flemish government by making an appointment with someone at Financial Support or by sending an e-mail with all the necessary information.

Contact us


To request an advance, you can contact us via e-mail until 1 September (at the end of the respective academic year).

You may request this advance as soon as:

For the calculation of the advance on the scholarship and for the contract, please provide the following details by e-mail:  

  • Proof of application for scholarship  (email confirming receipt);
  • The desired amount;
  • Whether you live in student housing;
  • If applicable: information on recent changes that have occurred in the family (for example lower income,...)
  • If you received a scholarship previous academic year: 
    • Scholarship decision letter from the previous academic year
  • If you did not receive a scholarship previous academic year:
    • Information about your income
      • Are you a dependent student? We'll need details of your parent's income (tax bill for income of the last two years before the start of the academic year)
      • Are you an independent student? We'll need details of your income;
      • Are you a "married" (=legally cohabiting or de facto cohabiting and common children) student? We'll need details of your income and the income of your partner. 
    • Information about your family
      • Number of dependent children in the family; 
      • Number of people attending higher education; 
      • Number of persons entitled to tax benefits due to disability; 
      • Details of cadastral income from properties not resided in by you, the owner (= property owned by you, which you neither live in nor use for your business).  

Sign contract

Once we have drawn up a simulation of the scholarship from the Flemish government and determined how much of an advance can be allocated, a contract will be drawn up. 

This contract will be sent to your VUB account through Docusign. (Follow the instructions in Docusign.) We ask you to fill in your personal details, add a copy/photo of your ID card and sign the contract. 

After you have signed the contract, we will add a structured notification to the contract and sign this too. You also receive a copy of the signed contract by email. The payment can then be passed on to our financial department.